Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

3/22/16

Cuba - USA: In speech to Cubans, Obama seeks to bury Cold War rivalry

President Obama addressed the Cuban people from an iconic theater in Old Havana on Tuesday, promising a new chapter in the history of Cuba, its relations with the United States, and the Western Hemisphere.

"I am here to bury the last remnants of the Cold War in the Americas. I am here to extend a hand of friendship to the Cuban people," Obama said.

But Obama also made clear there were still serious issues that need to be resolved before he can convince Congress to lift the 54-year-old embargo, still a major sticking point in U.S.-Cuban relations.

"Now, I want to be clear: The differences between our governments over these many years are real, and they are important. I'm sure President Castro would say the same thing," he said, acknowledging Cuban President Raul Castro, who watched the speech from a box seat. " I know, because I've heard him address those differences at length."

 Read more: In speech to Cubans, Obama seeks to bury Cold War rivalry

No comments: