Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

1/15/14

Greece takes over EU presidency

The Greek premier Antonis Samaras told MEPs of the EU Parliament in Strasbourg that his government’s economic reforms were working.

“I know that many things have been said in this room- positive and negative- about this period. But we should keep one thing here: Greece kept its commitments and honored its signature. In other words: We delivered.”

One centre-right German MEP said Greece’s economic woes would not hamper its presidency.

“I do trust Greece. I had a meeting with Prime Minister Samaras and Vice Prime Minister Venizelos, I have the impression that they have clear idea and.priorities. And I think that Greece should have a chance as every presidency before.”

But for the leader of the far-left group, scant attention is being paid to the plight of ordinary people.
UKIP MEP Nigel Farage told parliamentarians that the country was not a real democracy whilst it had to answer to the troika.

“A country in the desperate state Greece is in, and much of it because of the idiotic decision to join the euro itself, the fact that Greece has taken over the presidency of the European Union, I mean frankly it is as much as I can do to stop myself laughing.

Samaras said that he planned to put structrual reforms to boost jobs and growth at the heart of his agenda over the next six months.

EU-Digest

No comments: