Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

11/29/14

Consumerism : GET A LIFE: Don’t lose your soul to sales - by Loretta LaRoche

The holidays are upon us! However, from my vantage point, they started in August with constant reminders that Halloween was approaching. Halloween comes in second to Christmas in money spent. Thanksgiving comes next, but that holiday focuses mostly on food. I love Thanksgiving because it does seem to remind us to be thankful, a welcome relief from what comes next – the Christmas crazies.
“Joy to the World” seems to have a new interpretation. It used to be focused on simple gifts, possibly homemade, a gathering of friends and family and the ritual of attending one’s church of choice. And believe me, I know there are still many who are involved in these practices. What seems to have grown exponentially is the incessant messages about retail purchases that will bring you happiness once you have them.
Black Friday is fast becoming another holiday. I have watched individuals slugging their way through crowds in order to get what they believe to be a deep discount on an item they want. There have been reports of people having tug of wars over a TV set or computer, and then there’s the nut bags that put a tent outside the store and camp out so they can be the first ones inside.
Am I sounding judgmental? Yes, I am, but I really need an explanation as to how we got to this place. I truly believe we have become consumed with consumerism. I doubt whether people camp out in front of a homeless shelter so they can be the first to volunteer as soon as the doors open. Research shows that altruism far outweighs buying something when it comes to lasting happiness. Our brains get giddy with delight when we first get what we thought we had to have. But it soon passes and then we need something else to get that that endorphin high.
Do I think we should wear shrouds and live in mud huts without any connection to the world? No, I seek the comforts of home, and I have technology that allows me to be current and connected. My greatest fear is that we are losing our “souls to sales.” The ultimate irony is that all the stuff being sold will go on sale and cost less as the holiday approaches. Most importantly, are we in control of our buying power, or are all the seductive ads making us their slaves?
 Read more: GET A LIFE: Don’t lose your soul to sales - News - Wicked Local Wareham - Wareham, MA

No comments: