Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

6/17/10

Soccer and Nationalism: Why I'm glued to the World Cup - by Scott Herhold


Every four years, during the World Cup, I adopt the garb and the gab of a soccer fanatic. I was glued to the Ghana-Serbia match. I got up early to watch Japan and Cameroon. I've watched endless reruns of the England-USA tie.

And I find myself getting deeply immersed in the details. Was that handball on the Serbian player properly called in the penalty box? (It was.) Are the refs ignoring the scourge of diving? (No.). Where did the Germans get those moves? (OK, the Australians were bad, but the German coach has style.)
Why is that I'm indifferent to soccer most of the time but passionate during the World Cup? Why do I turn from a mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll to a howling Mr. Hyde once I hear the air horns in the stadium.


For more: Herhold: Why I'm glued to the World Cup - San Jose Mercury News

No comments: