Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

12/7/14

Smart Phones: "You are to have no other gods besides me" - by RM

Exodus 20 verse 3  is explicit : " You are to have no other Godsbesides me"

Most Christians in general feel that this is one commandment they can uphold and live by. .

At least that is what we think when taking that commandment literary.. After all,, we would certainly not go and worship the sun, moon or some obscure object.. Really? Well it depends how you look at it.

The other night after I had come back home from a long day on the road I had but one thought -  "Boy was it good to be home". I kicked off my shoes and sat down with a nice glass of wine together with my wife.

I was ready to enjoy a relaxing evening.and I felt blessed and very happy.

Suddenly, as if I was bitten by a poisonous snake, I  realized that I could not find my "smart phone"

The relaxed mode I was in changed abruptly. I became totally panic stricken. What had happened to the phone? Did I lose it somewhere, had someone stolen it. The loss of the smart  phone seemed like the end of the world, like someone had died in my family.

After combing through the whole house and not having found the phone I decided to go to bed and start the searce again the next morning

The first few hours in bed that night were like torture. Tossing and turning and playing the scenario of the lost phone over and over in my head.

After ghetting out of bed and drinking a glass of water for the fourth time in the kitchen that night, I decided on the way back to the bedroom that I was going to pray.

It was worth it,  in every aspect of the word, to taking this time out to pray. For suddenly I came to the conclusion what the meaning of "You are to have no other gods besides me".meant in a broader sense.

My smart phone had become one of those "other Gods" to me.. Once I realized that, I could finally fall solidly asleep.

After I woke up the next morning I also found my smartphone. It had slipped  between the partition of the couch.

It was once again only a smartphone and certainly not "my God" anymore.

EU-Digest

No comments: