Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

3/2/11

The internet too fast for Gaddafi - by RM

This lunchtime, about 20 minutes ago, as I was having my coffee break, I put on the TV to watch the latest news. Since I wanted to see what was happening in the Middle East I put on Al Jazeera which happened to be showing Gaddaf'i's third live TV speech. This time his speech was to the International and local press corps assembled in what looked like a downtown hotel in Tripoli .

At one point in his speech, just when Gaddafi was claiming that the demonstrations against  "the people of Libya and himself" were organized by hoodlums, criminals and Al Qaeda, and that these demonstrations were not peaceful but bloody, Al Jazeera switched to a split screen live shot . The left side of the screen showed Gaddafi speaking to the assembled journalists in Tripoli and the right side  a shot of the people in "liberated" Benghazi, watching the Gaddafi's speech during a noisy but very peaceful demonstration.

For some reason this scene seemed funny, because apparently Gaddafi and his advisors had forgotten how fast and advanced modern communications have become. It can work in your favor but in Gaddafi's case, against you. Since I happened to have my electronic camera nearby I took a picture of this "special moment in time" right from my home TV screen, put it on EU-Digest and "zipped" to you all around the world via the Internet.

The moral of the story: "It might be possible to lie when you live in a-time frame based on the speed of a camel, but it doesn't work too well in the age of Internet".

EU-Digest
this report can be reproduced without permission
only if EU-Digest is quoted as the source

No comments: