- There were several terrorist attacks this morning: two explosions in Zaventem and one in Maalbeck, which many killed and wounded.
- Two of the three men in the CCTV photo “very likely committed a suicide attack.’
- Van Leeuw confirmed that there is an active manhunt underway for the third man seen in CCTV footage at Zaventem airport dressed in white.
- Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack through its media wing, but it was still “too early to make a direct connection between the attacks in Paris [in November] and today’s attacks”, Van Leeuw said. Isis’s claim of responsibility has not yet been formally verified, he said.
- There are several raids under way across the country, but Van Leeuw warned of the risks of reporting details of active operations.
- Witnesses are currently being questioned, with more were being sought.
- Several explosions were heard at the airport after the initial two blasts, but these were controlled detonations by security forces, Van Leeuw said, before warning that there may yet be more controlled detonations of suspect packages.
- And with that, Van Leeuw declined to give any further information so as not to affect the ongoing investigations.
Read more: Brussels attacks: manhunt under way for airport suspect – live updates | World news | The Guardian