Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

3/31/18

Poland: Donald Tusk: I’ll be back in Poland, and not to watch TV – by Michał Broniatowski

European Council President Donald Tusk hinted at a return to domestic politics in an interview Friday.

“I’m not going to retire,” he told Polish news channel TVN24. “In 2019 I will be back in Poland and let no one think that I will only watch TV.”

The former Polish prime minister refused to elaborate, saying: “I will not formulate scenarios for the moment and I hope there will be no emergency scenarios.”

He added: “I hope that Poles who dream about stable democracy and the rule of law will be able to win future elections — I will be the happiest man on earth if this materializes. If things go differently, I do not exclude anything.”

Tusk was speaking at the European Center of Solidarity, a museum and cultural center built in the Gdańsk Shipyard where the Solidarność movement was created in 1980.

On the fight between Poland and the EU, which accuses Warsaw of going against the rule of law, Tusk said: “The problem is that permanent solutions may be taken. For example, when we talk about future European funds. I wish Poland didn’t lose a single euro cent for this reason.

“I will not be on the side of the PiS [the ruling Law and Justice party, which is a political enemy of Tusk’s] in the debate in Europe concerning the rule of law. I will not justify wrong actions of PiS.”

Read more: Donald Tusk: I’ll be back in Poland, and not to watch TV – POLITICO

No comments: