Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

6/19/16

Fathers Day: WWE's Titus O'Neil: Why Strong Fathers Shouldn't Be Afraid to Cry - by Titus O'Neil

As we approach Father’s Day this Sunday, I’m reminded of the honor of being named Celebrity Mega Dad of the Year in 2015. It was a surreal moment for me. My two sons were very excited, especially considering the other big star nominees Kaká, Ashton Kutcher, Vin Diesel and David Beckham.

But truth be told, every day for me is Father’s Day.  Being a father is my greatest honor and something I’m very grateful to experience every single day.  Each day I get to wake up and tell my kids I love them and hug them, or talk to them on the phone or video chat with them when I’m traveling for work with WWE. That is Father’s Day for me and I cherish every moment.

I never met my biological father—I grew up in a single parent home. The one thing that I knew at a very early age was that I would be an active and present father, simply because I didn’t want my kids to feel the emptiness that I felt as a kid, and the lack of a positive male role model in the home. My mom was a phenomenal mother, she did everything she could, but she couldn’t teach me how to be a man. We need positive male role models. Even as an adult, I have father figures in my pastor and in Charles Blalock, a man that raised me as his own son.

People often think father figures are just a biological father, but that’s not necessarily true. When there are positive male role models present, you see young people prospering. My role as a father is not just to be a provider but also to teach my sons by example how to love and respect others and their differences, how to live with character, integrity and pride in who they can be and what they can accomplish in life with the right attitude, work ethic and opportunities.

Read more: WWE's Titus O'Neil: Why Strong Fathers Shouldn't Be Afraid to Cry

No comments: