|Disaster: level explosive|
- Trump in Saudi Arabia disclaims any concern for human rights.
- Trump bullies NATO allies in public (and physically shoves one leader).
- Trump’s budget is built on a rickety scaffold of math errors, economic nonsense and fantasyland predictions.
- Trump’s advisers defend massive cuts to the safety net, coupled with huge giveaways to the rich.
- The Congressional Budget Office score, which the House did not require before voting on a mammoth health-care bill, confirms that GOP leaders falsely claimed they protected people with preexisting conditions.
- Trump’s lawyers contemptuously swat away a request for information relating to his receipt of foreign monies, finding that it is too impractical to abide by his own promise and the Constitution.
- Trump has nothing but praise for thuggish autocrats, including Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.
- Trump continues to pursue a Muslim ban, repeatedly struck down by the courts as bigotry disguised under the cloak of national security.
- A GOP congressional candidate, conclusive evidence suggests, attacks a reporter and apparently lies about it (he later apologizes for actions he denied less than 24 hours earlier), but party leaders do not repudiate him or demand that he withdraw.
- Jared Kushner, the beneficiary of egregious nepotism, now is a focus of the FBI’s Russia investigation, bringing a once-in-a-lifetime scandal one step closer to the presidency.
- Sean Hannity is forced to stop propagating a detestable hoax about a young man’s murder; Fox News after a week withdraws the original false report without much explanation or an apology.
Note EU-Digest: One can not only blame the Republicans for this political mess, but must also include Democrats and voters in general for creating it. This is not business as usual, it is the recipe for disaster and the collapse of Western Democracy as we know it.
Read more: A week that reveals how rotten today’s Republican Party is - The Washington Post