Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

1/27/13

US Politics: This isn't Republican Party I knew - by Al McCray

Now 61 years old, I had been proud to be a Republican since I was a teenager.  I always voted a straight Republican ticket. For decades I endured the criticisms and negative comments from my fellow Negroes. I always defended my right to be a Republican.

In 2009, when Barack Obama was sworn in as president, I started noticing a lot of changes in my party. It seemed like the party took a dark turn.

The most dramatic change was that the Republican Party's main goal became the defeat of President Obama. We were in the worst recession since the Great Depression and all my party wanted to do was to pull down the first African-American elected to serve in the White House.

Instead of working to help the economy, Republican leaders became attack dogs. It seemed like they cared less about the millions of Americans who were unemployed and losing their homes. The only word they knew when it came to President Obama was "NO

The party has to realize America's major voting bloc won't be whites but blacks eating soul food and brown people who love tacos. The party must look at the 2010 U.S. Census and stop marginalizing minorities. Stop all these phony promises to capture the vote in 2016. It won't happen, not even for the new Republican poster child, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida.

Read more: Al McCray: This isn't Republican Party I knew - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

No comments: